dimanche 1 septembre 2013

The times they are a changing... (and my changing relationship with STUFF)

We are in the unique position of packing everything and sorting through all kinds of things.  We are keeping that which is really important to us and getting rid of the rest.  God has been, over the past 6 years, helping us become less attached to goods.... because as I like to say it's not going with us when we die!!

Many of you will know that 3 years ago we had to deal with a mould situation!  That 'forced' us to get rid of a lot of stuff we had been holding on to... For example 100$ English textbook I had been keeping just in case I might need it someday (instead of selling it back to the campus bookstore right after the course was done)... Mouldy = 0$ and garbage!  I couldn't even give it away!

Well, deciding what is worth storing is a great process... goodbye birthday cards from 5 years ago, goodbye class notes I haven't looked at once since graduating, goodbye photos from trip to the aquarium (the only photos that seem to really still be interesting a year later are those of people!!).

We also had an offer on our house that, unfortunately, fell through- but it included almost all our furniture- that was interesting, but really helpful in the end because we realized we were willing to get rid of more than we thought we wanted to...

One of the things that has held me back from wanting to get rid of furniture, was to think about the cost of replacement.   Definitely getting rid of a dresser (selling it on craigslist for 50 dollars for example) would cost much more to replace, if I were to buy brand new... But if I am willing to buy used then I haven't really lost anything because I can likely find something (if I am patient) for the same price I sold ours for.

So here are some little things I have learned

1- Buy used, sell when done, buy used, sell when done etc...  (cost of use becomes very little!)
2-If you haven't used it or looked at it in a year, you very probably don't need it!

AND

Times are changing.  I had a huge box full of cards from Josué's birth, I have a small envelope for Noémie's.  Things are becoming more and more electronic (e-books, online streaming for videos) and some of this technology is helping us to have less material (physical) goods.

We discovered many perks to having less... it is easier to keep the house clean.
Less stuff means less upkeep and less mental space.  Less worry about theft or damage or loss too.

So happy sorting!


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire